Welcome to My World

Anecdotal observations of life while in pursuit of things to accomplish before (doh!) 32.

Friday, November 7, 2008

#29: Stop biting my nails

As you know, I did this and they are beauts. French manicured and my own--never thought I'd see this day. As you also know, I've wondered how I have been able to grow them given the level of stress and chaos in my life and last night, I got my answer.

I had dinner with a dear friend of mine who always has a highly insightful observation or rock solid piece of advice to offer--seriously, she should consider a new career path.

The answer: control.

Growing my nails is the one thing I can control right now. While all my structure, routines, plans, dreams and paths are scattered in front of me, the fate of my nails is something I determine--to bite, or not to bite. THAT was insighful.

Not only because of my nails (wow, that sounds silly and shallow), but it made me realize how little control I have over my destiny at this moment, and that doesn't fly well with this diva. I'm not a "sit tight" kind of gal but circumstances have forced me to be. I need decisions, outcomes, plans and paths to feel right in the world. This is not to say I'm not a go with the flow girl in my day-to-day life, that I can be--yes, I can hop a plane to Vegas on whim or get hammered on a Sunday before a big meeting. But in general, there has to be some grand plan, or dream.

Right now, I have beautiful nails.

No comments: