Welcome to My World

Anecdotal observations of life while in pursuit of things to accomplish before (doh!) 32.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Little Things

OMG, blog cardinal sin--no posts for a two weeks! Been wrapped up in "other" things...you know, life.  So many things have happened over the past few weeks. Anecdotal at best, but interesting nonetheless. In two weeks I have learned: 

1) I can take my family in small doses, or one on one (I'm sure the feeling is mutual) 
2) The FAA needs a serious technology update
3) My male hormones are through the roof (so they poked me some more, not on Facebook)
4) I could get used to not having to work
5) I really dig my dog

On my three day hiatus from work to do nothing, I learned how the other half of life lives--i.e. the soccer moms, elderly and unemployed. 

The greatest experience I had was grocery shopping at two in the afternoon. I go to Publix--it's more expensive, but the people there are nice. They are living and breathing their brand. Kroger just infuriates me--the cashiers don't even look at you (too busy talking to the career bag boys, soon to be baby daddy). I digress...

Turns out the local Senior Living Center does their grocery shopping on Thursday afternoons. Every aisle I turned down had a little man or lady meandering through overwhelming choices of processed food--none of which they recognized. When I checked out, a chatty little lady was in front of me, telling me how it used to cost $25 to feed a family of four, and now her weekly grocery bill was $49 for one. I fell in love with her. 

When she walked away, the bagger told me she was 97 years old. She had a ton of spunk--must've been the Jersey in her. I then proceeded to have a conversation with him about the great state of New Jersey and my excellent choice in beer--totally meaningless--but the point is he talked to me. And when I left, he thanked me for my conversation. THANKED ME. Imagine that.

I left the store with a big smile on my face--the combination of people who come from simpler times, and people who actually give a shit if you enjoy your grocery shopping experience. It's the little things that make this life worth living. 

And that's my story for today. Little things.  





No comments: