Welcome to My World

Anecdotal observations of life while in pursuit of things to accomplish before (doh!) 32.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

A word on communication.

Communication is key in every single aspect of life. 

Life is not about how much money you have, whether or not you have pets, what kind of  house you live in, what food you like, or what you do in your spare time. These things all have impact on your quality of life but when it comes down to basic fundamentals,  it's about communication--with people.  

Words are extremely powerful, both spoken and written. Many people do not choose their words correctly, or simply don't have any at all. Both can be extremely detrimental to relationships. 

I am guilty of the former--I have, on very few occasions, said something inappropriate or used the wrong tone (translation = harsh) and ended up in a pickle. There has never been a time when I've been at a loss for what to say. Except to my boyfriend, and that's typically because I am repeating myself for the 10th or 11th time and I simply grow...tired.  

He on the other hand is guilty of the latter. And not just in regard to questions about "our future". BASIC shit is a challenge. I understand he's in his head and all that genius stuff, but c'mon. The issue seems to be in knowing which thoughts to vocalize.

My point being, if I was a mind reader (hey, Mel Gibson did it), and he could operate me like a DVR (record, fast forward, rewind, mute) we'd be in a great place.

I'm sure there are plenty of other couples that could benefit from this arrangement as well.

No comments: