Welcome to My World

Anecdotal observations of life while in pursuit of things to accomplish before (doh!) 32.

Monday, December 8, 2008

#13: Remember Everyone's Birthday

I'm remembering a big one--Jesus. You like the new color scheme in honor of our savior (who has been testing me unmercifully for three months)?

I've always loved Christmas. It is a holiday that is deeply steeped in tradition in my family, despite coming from a divorced home. It wasn't until I began dating my boyfriend and felt like I was somewhat "settled" that I started embracing my own traditions--decorating the house, a tree (real, always), and of course the holiday par-tay! This year's should be tons o' fun. It gets a little bigger and a little better with every year that passes. It's my gift to my friends, and to myself. I like going to parties at my house. I don't have to watch how much I drink.

It also wasn't until a few years ago that I spent my first Christmas away from my family. Thirty-one Christmases, and thus far just one away. This year, I have seriously contemplated spending it by myself. Quite honestly, I just don't feel like celebrating--except for said party, but that's different. I know it sounds really pathetic and sad, but I'm not looking at it that way. I need to get some things in order, do a "self-check"--and what better time to do so then when everyone else is occupied? No hustle and bustle, just quiet contemplation.

It seemed to work for the Waitresses.

No comments: