Welcome to My World

Anecdotal observations of life while in pursuit of things to accomplish before (doh!) 32.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

#31: Understand and appreciate how fortunate I really am

When it rains, it pours. But despite it all, you still have to find something to be thankful for every day.

Today, I am thankful that I have a full tank of gas. I feel like I outsmarted the rest of Atanta by finidng a not so high trafficked gas station that a) still had gas, b) let you fill up, and c) let you pay at the pump like in the old days. Of course it took me 20 minutes to fill my tank but at least it's full (along with an additional 5 gallon container "just in case").

While not directly related to my gas issue, I have a few comments on the speech our President gave last night, as they both relate to the state of our society.

"The government's top economic experts warn that, without immediate action by Congress, America could slip into a financial panic and a distressing scenario would unfold. More banks could fail, including some in your community. The stock market would drop even more, which would reduce the value of your retirement account. The value of your home could plummet. Foreclosures would rise dramatically."

A well-studied scholar on this topic helped interpret this speech. The fact of the matter is that these things are going to happen to some degree regardless. There has to be a fundamental shift in society and the way our economy operates for it to be "fixed". American's are the "I want more consumer" regardless of what is fiscally responsible. A correction needs to occur to make things right.

It has to do with the dollar being backed by trust and our GDP alone, and the fact that our GDP will decline. I understand it sort of, but could use a few more hours of tutorial. The bottom line is I believe it.

But don't be sad. Look at this as an opportunity. These don't have to be hard times for everyone with a little preparation. Sell your Lexus, bury your money, and go get a job in healthcare while you're at it. Do it quietly so as not to instill panic.

And be thankful that you got this advice before it was too late.

No comments: