Welcome to My World

Anecdotal observations of life while in pursuit of things to accomplish before (doh!) 32.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

#5: Save more money

It's almost become a game for me. Just like trying to "best" my time out of the airport to home after each flight. Loser. I know.

This weekend I spent $90. But I gained $85 returning used snorkel equipment--yes I really did. Technically, I spent $5.

I went to Target and my total bill of sale came to $42. $42?! I can't remember the last time I went to Target and spent less than $100. I should get a plaque (or maybe a Lucite square) for not buying seasonal hand towels, smelly good candles, or make-up I'll never use...or yet another $10 t-shirt.

In general, I've been very good about saving money on the day-to-day things:

1) Buying generic for the things that don't matter
2) Bringing my lunch
3) Inexpensive dinners out (think Chipotle versus Nuevo Laredo--it's hard, damn it!)
4) Giving the dog baths at home
5) Limiting the dry cleaning
6) Re-purposing numerous household items--think
7) Getting rid of the HD box (not yet, but only because we can't get Comcast to actually show up)
8) Moving dollars from every paycheck to savings
9) Shopping at the outlets for things I need (and I do truly need them! Especially since I was told I can't wear heels anymore)
10) Making my own coffee every morning

By far my most lucrative savings program isn't really a savings program at all. Bank of America was kind enough to round up all my purchases to the nearest dollar, and take the difference and deposit it into my savings account. I spend money to save money but it looks good on paper--like my last relationship. $9.98 cents this month--that's half a pedicure! And, I have saved $639 in total since I started.

These are minor, but they add up. Problem is, I can still be ridiculous. Like $350 worth of outdoor gear for this recent trip to Galapagos. I'll use the NorthFace jacket and the Nike tees, but I can't see the Keen water or rock shoes coming in handy walking Gizmo around the the extreme dog path in the neighborhood.

I told myself I'd take up hiking.

No comments: