Welcome to My World

Anecdotal observations of life while in pursuit of things to accomplish before (doh!) 32.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

#5: Save more money

It is MUCH easier to save money when there is more coming in. Seeing as I have busted my behind this year and still will not see a penny for the efforts, saving money has become even more difficult when coupling reduced income with high levels of stress. If only my goals weren't so lofty (and completely unattainable).

On that note, today I did something I NEVER do. My lunch plans were cancelled, so I decided to go and exchange one of my man's Christmas gifts (mine to him, not vice versa). Unfortunatley, I had to walk through the women's section of the store to get to what I needed to accomplish, and of course there were things that caught my eye. Especially with those 70% off signs...I can't do math to save my life (hence advertising), but I know that's a bargain.

So, I found a couple dresses, a sweater and a "blouse"--anyone else hate the fucking word? At the register, the sales girl did her usual pitch about opening a credit card and while I typically ignore it she said "and save $100". What? $100? I'm no dummy...

Note: I have no credit cards. One for emergencies with a zero balance, and my company card. I frequently tell sales people credit is what got us in this economic situation in the first place.

Much to my surprise, I found myself applying (and being accepted) for store credit.

I had SO much guilt. I accosted the sales person, and actually asked her if she was lying to me. She wasn't, and I saved $109.

Now what? I get this card, I pay it, and I cancel it.

If my credit score is reduced by a single point I will cry.

No comments: