Welcome to My World

Anecdotal observations of life while in pursuit of things to accomplish before (doh!) 32.

Friday, April 25, 2008

#4: Choose my battles


While I think I've done a pretty good job of this at work, home with my boyfriend is another story.


Take for instance today. I had scheduled our dog trainer to come back for a follow up session. I asked Scott (said boyfriend) for his preferred date, and confirmed it once set. As recently as last week he told me he wanted the trainer to come back and refresh us, and I reminded him Tom the trainer was coming this Friday.

"Good", he said.
Today, Scott tells me he has to go up to the lake to pick up his new toy--a jet ski--and that he might not make it back for training. Given his request, the confirmation, the fact that he is less consistent with the training, and is in general more annoyed at our puppy's behavior than I, was a little put off by this. OK, a lot.

I told him this behavior frustrated me and that I was disappointed. He told me he was frustrated because he wanted to have "fun". Seriously.
Was I wrong to be angry, I don't know. But these situations are so frequent, and I try my hardest to just be patient, but at the same time know that I don't say anything it will continue. Thus, battle picking is NOT my strength.

I know you can't change a man (and for any of you ladies thinking otherwise, think again), but c'mon. I want to have fun?

And I want a ring.

No comments: